New standard for teachers’ professional development
Teacher Professional Development,
Standard for Teachers’ Professional Development,
This new guidance should be read in conjunction with the Standard for Teachers’ Professional Development. The standard should be used by everyone working in, and with, schools to raise expectations for professional development. It will help to focus on achieving the greatest improvement for pupil outcomes and to develop teachers as respected members of the profession. It will help anyone using the standard to understand in more detail the requirements for implementing effective professional development.
The key principles within the standards are:
Effective teacher professional development is a partnership between:
- Headteachers and other members of the leadership team;
- Teachers; and
- Providers of professional development expertise, training or consultancy.
In order for this partnership to be successful:
1. Professional development should have a focus on improving and evaluating pupil outcomes.
2. Professional development should be underpinned by robust evidence and expertise.
3. Professional development should include collaboration and expert challenge.
4. Professional development programmes should be sustained over time.
And all this is underpinned by, and requires that:
5. Professional development must be prioritised by school leadership.
A copy of the documentation can be found https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/standard-for-teachers-professional-development
Back to blog